I’m an obsessive list-maker, but there are only several times in a year when it is completely acceptable to indulge the habit and the end of year round-up is just that.
I have yet to focus on any one cultural medium as obsessively as music so for now, it’s the only list I feel perfectly comfortable putting out into the world. Perhaps in 2015, thanks to new writing gigs and resolutions, I’ll have more lists to share when this time comes around again.
If it weren’t for Spotify I don’t know that my list would be as exhaustive as I believe it is. The program catalogs and stores the music I listened to for me, without me even having to ask (if only the same could be true for other media, as it is, I must rely on my rather unreliable self for my reminisces on art, film, theater and literature.)
Looking at this list I have learned some things about myself.
- First of all, up until Spotify I was a dedicated album listener, now, as you can see, I listen to far more singles than albums, something I plan, in 2015, to rectify.
- I err on the side of independent electronic music. That will always be true.
- I listen to far too little classical music, in large part because I’ve confined myself to a number of blogs and magazines for new music options, none of which cover the genre. Another thing I plan to rectify in 2015.
- Sometimes songs, Coffee by Sylvan Esso for instance, I still, to this day, would not list as one of my favorite songs. That fact notwithstanding, I wound up listening to the song far too much to deny its influence on my year, hence, its inclusion below.
- It’s funny that you can have a favorite album and yet not be able to pick out one song as a favorite. Not sure why that would be, just an observation.
- I’m still waiting for another album to change my life as much as Destroyer’s Kaputt. (2011). Perhaps never again.
The lists are in no particular order. Perhaps my listening habits will strike you as provincial, or boring. Perhaps I’ll inspire you to listen to a few new songs. Either way, for what it’s worth, here’s my year in music.
- Coffee – Sylvan Esso
- Capitol – TRST
- Faith – I Break Horses
- Wanderlust – Wild Beasts
- A Long Walk Home for Parted Lovers – Yumi Zouma
- Murmurs – Hundred Waters
- It Will Draw me Over to it Like it Always Does – Ricky Eat Acid
- On A Path – Owen Pallett
- Wye Oak – Despicable Animal
- Archie, Marry Me – Alvvays
- Shut In – Strand of Oaks
- Blush – Mr. Twin Sister
- A Glimpse – Rustie
- I Wanna Get Better – Bleachers
- Queen- Perfume Genius
- The Way I Feel – DOSS
- Do it Again – Robyn & Royksopp
- How Can You Really – Foxygen
- Champions of Red Wine – The New Pornographers
- Dig – Nothing
- Our Love – Sharon Van Etten
- Kong – Notwist
- QT – QT
- The War on Drugs – Under the Pressure
- Lykke Li – I Never Learn
- Todd Terje – Johnny and Mary
- Tuesday – I love makonnen
- Seasons – Future Islands
- Sick Beat – Kero Kero Bonito
- Divinity – Porter Robinson
- Hundred Waters – The Moon Rang Like a Bell
- Wye Oak – Shriek
- Sea When Absent – Sunny Day in Glasgow
- Todd Terje – It’s Album Time
- Brill Bruisers – The New Pornographers
- TOPS – Picture You staring
- Sharon Van Etten – Taking Chances
- Owen Pallet – In Conflict
- War on Drugs – Lost in the Dream
- Lykke Li – I Never Learn
- Twin Sister – Mr. Twin Sister